Friday, November 10, 2017

Warm Nuts Over Mississippi

I've been told I tell a pretty good story. And as it happens, I've got some good ones.  "You should write a book," they say.  I don't even have to make things up, my life has been so weird.

A couple of years ago I was on a red-eye flight from my home in Alaska to my Dad's house in Georgia.  Through some dumb luck, or possibly an excess of frequent flyer miles, my daughter and I found ourselves in first class.  She was 9 or so, and it was her first time in Row 1.  She's a darling to travel with, and entertained herself and slept, in between staring out the window.

I couldn't sleep.

Somewhere over Mississippi, the flight attendant brought me a hot towel and some warm nuts.  Warm Nuts.  At 30,000 feet.  I pondered briefly as to what process resulted in warm nuts being served to me at 2 a.m. in seat 1 B.  Did they microwave them?  Had they been warm since we took off 3 hours earlier?  Why is this necessary?

I chuckled to myself and the absurdity.  All of the stories of my life have culminated in this moment.  Warm Nuts Over Mississippi.  I decided if I ever got around to writing my book, that would be the title.

Fast forward to 2017.  I found myself in the Exit row on my way to Maui.  I was running away from home for a few days.  For some reason I actually engaged the woman next to me in conversation.  I almost never do that.  We talked for most of the 5 1/2 hour flight.  A retired teacher, married to the love of her life, it was as though she was visiting from the future to give me the advice I needed to hear in my late 40's.  I'm paraphrasing, but the gist of it was this:  It doesn't really matter what your job is.  Hopefully you enjoy it, but be sure to cultivate a passion over the next few years.  Try different things.  When you retire then you'll have a passion to keep you busy (hers was making stained glass).  Take care of your body and your mind, so when you arrive at retirement your body will be able to let you enjoy it.

She asked what I would be doing if I could do anything I wanted.  I said I'd be writing. 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! And has your life been weird, or just interesting? ;)

    ReplyDelete